Big Brother Big Sisters of Pinellas County Calls All COUPLES to Action!
Did you know that 1 out of 5 African American boys in Pinellas County will graduate from High School this year? This is an alarming reality that haunts Big Brothers Big Sisters of Pinellas every day, but you can help them make a difference… especially if you’re a couple.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Pinellas is launching The Next BIG Thing on October 1st; the very first Big Couples campaign in BBBS history! The campaign will run for 50 days with the goal of recruiting 50 new Big Couples to remove 50 boys from the agency’s waiting list. There are currently over 200 children ready to be matched!
What’s a Big Couple, you ask? As a Big Couple you and your long-term significant other become “Bigs” otherwise known as adult mentors, to a young boy waiting for someone to guide him down the path to success.
The three of you can do things together or spend time with your “Little” individually. Your presence has the power to enrich a child’s life by exposing him to things he would otherwise never get to experience. From simple activities like playing catch in the park to eating a hot dog at a Tampa Bay Rays game, the possibilities are endless.
There are 744 hours in the average month; it only takes 4-8 hours to be a Big Couple. It’s easy to get started:
1. Contact Big Brothers Big Sisters: Call us at 727.518.8860 or visit our website at www.bbbspc.org
2. Pick a Program:
· Community based: meeting with the child for four hours each month to spend quality time together in the community.
· Sports Buddies: an extension of Community Based, this program stems from building an instant friendship from a common interest, sports.
· School based: meeting with the child on school grounds for one hour per week; your visit will typically range from playing on the play ground to helping with academic work or simply talking about your day. You are not responsible for seeing the child when school is not in session.
3. Interview & Training session with one of our degreed Match Managers
4. Match; meet your new Little Brother!
What are you waiting for, Couples?! Call us today to be a part of The Next BIG Thing.
ABOUT BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS
As the nation’s largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”). The organization has been in existence for more than 100 years at a national level, and more than 45 years locally. (since 1967) Big Brothers Big Sisters provides a system of ongoing evaluation and support which is proven by independent studies to help families by improving the odds that “Littles” will perform better in school and avoid violence and illegal activities, and have stronger relationships with their parents and others.